Ordeal by record

April 2000
This article is part of the Noteworthy News archives.

More: Home brew recording

In 1918, just a few years before acoustic recording was to become obsolete, a treatise on record manufacture was published in England by Henry Seymour.

Although the rudiments of acoustics were well understood, recording at this time was not quite a science nor an art; it was more a matter of trial and error.

Recording studio

If you look carefully at this rare photograph of a 1918 recording studio you can see the overhead steel wires and the two doors leading to the recording machine. (Scientific American)

Seymour was a recording engineer, known variously at the time as a "record taker," "recorder," or "recordist." And because the finished product depended upon the skill of the recordist, the recordist didn’t like to reveal his secrets.

In the early 1890s records were produced by brute repetition. The musicans —who were paid by the round—were placed in front of a bank of up to a dozen recording phonographs syncronized by teen-age boys and the selection was played over and over.Russell Hunting, for example, was paid $5 per round by Leeds and Catlin for his Casey monlogues.

If the copy writers of early catalogues are to believed, some selections were recorded over 25,000 times, meaning that the exhausted musicians could have done nothing else for months!

Serious stage artists didn’t want to record for the phonograph. They could earn far more at the opera house. Then too, there was a prevailing myth that the recording horn "metalized" the voice, and a belief that they would run their voices raw.

Although brown wax records could sell for $1 -$1.50, the record industry didn’t become lucrative until pantography was introduced around the mid 90s, when around ten duplicates could be made from a master. (The record companies tried to hide the new discovery from the musicians.)

In 1902 Edison’s gold molding process hit the market. By 1918, at the time of Seymour’s book, the industry understood the intricacies of molding and electrotyping, and a consensus of sorts had formed as to how to record a record.

The musicians entered a bare floored and bare walled recording studio around 20 feet long and a dozen feet tall. There was disagreement as to whether the room’s corners should be angled or rounded, but was agreed that a domed ceiling was a virtue.

If the musicians looked at the ceiling they would note a curious sight: just above head level, across the room taut wires were stretched about one foot apart at a right angle to the recording horn. These wires were supposed to vibrate in sympathy with the music; but in practice the musicians hung inverted music stands upon them, which would have seemed to defeat their purpose.

Edison studio

A military band making recordings at the Edison laboratory in the early 90s. The recordist's identity appeared on each brown wax record. (Courtesy Allen Koenigsberg)

The room was filled with benches up to six feet high, for different instruments had to be recorded at the different heights. Even vocalists had to brought to the proper level: the five foot tall Ada Jones had to stand on a stool when she recorded next to Walter van Brunt.

Some instruments had to be modified for the recording horn. The piano never recorded well, but was sometimes necessary. An upright grand was placed on a bench three feet high , its back removed, and the pianist instructed never to use the sustaining petals.

Violins and violas, which recorded weakly, were replaced by Stroh violins and violas, with a diaphragm attached to their bridges, and which looked for all the world as if they had a horn sticking out of their bellies. The cello was sometimes substituted for by the bassoon.

The orchestra was placed in a U-shape or semi-circle, being careful to be situate each instrument the appropriate distance from the recording horn: flute and piccolo the closest; then harp , clarionet, violins; then cello, oboe; cornet and trombones and tubas bringing up the rear. Drums were placed close to the front. This led to some awkward seatings: the horns sometimes had to follow the conductor in a mirror!

Vocalists were positioned close to the front, and if accompanied, received their own recording horn.

Needless to say a lot of trial and error was involved to get a good recording. In his studio, the methodical Edison put numbers on the floor to show the musicians where to go.

The recording horn jutted out of a small room or draped partition at one end of the studio. This was to keep extraneous noises out of the record, but also to protect to recordist, who preferred to keep his techniques a secret.

The recordist would remove a wax master from a heated cabinet, would place it on the recording machine,and would crank up the weight of a gravity motor. Only a gravity motor was so smooth as to be free of all fluctuation. This is one reason the recording studio was sometimes found on a second floor. For cutting cylinders the topworks of an Edison Triumph was preferred. Sometimes, with 78s, a buzzer told the musicians that the machine had started and a second buzzer denoted when the lead grooves had been cut. The recordist had to keep an eye on the way the wax shavings cleared the master; they were typically blown off with air.

Stroh violin

The special recording violin invented by Augustus Stroh.

The recordist was at the mercy of the quality of the wax and of his recorder. A bad batch of wax could spoil a day’s work. A finely honed India saphire was important.Typically the recordist kept an assortment of recorders with diaphragms of different thickness and diameter; some might work better on a soprano voice than an alto, it was necessary to make several test records.

Once in a while for no apparent reason one recorder worked significantly better than others, and this recorder was cared for and guarded like gold.

The bane of the recordist was "blast"—he walked a tight line between a dull record and a record that blasted.

To reduce blast, tiny holes were sometimes drilled in the bell of the recording horn or the horn was wrapped with electrical tape.

Vocalists were trained to step back from the horn when delivering a strong note, or to step forward when singing a weak note. Occasionally the recordist would poke or prod the singer at the proper time, but this reminder didn’t sit very well with some
famous divas.

A related problem was a singer with a particularly powerful voice. A powerful voice could even shatter a glass diaphragm, which was frequently employed."We had to wear them down by many repeats, and it often took hours," said Frank Capps, a famous

There wasn’t any opportunity for correction with wax. If anyone made a mistake, the process began again.

The recordist and artist would review the wax master, and when everyone was satisfied it was sent off to the factory for electrotyping, ending the musicians’ ordeal by record.

More:Home brew recording

Koenigsberg, Allen. Patent History of the Phonograph. APM Press, 502 E. 17th, Brooklyn, NY.
Seymour, Henry. The Reproduction of Sound.
Cochrane, Ira. The Phonograph Book.
Fabrizio, Tim. Rochester, NY. Interview.
Scientific American, 1918.

Copyright 2015 Lynn Bilton

Lynn Bilton
Box 435
Randolph,OH 44265
330 325-7866


We buy, sell, and repair antique phonographs and music boxes.

Pick-up and delivery possible in many parts of the midwest, south, and northeast.

Mechanical music
for sale

See new listings

  • Victrolas

  • Outside horn phonographs

  • Disc music boxes
  • Swiss cylinder music boxes

  • Records
And more...